Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Word painting

Every now and then you hear phrases that really help set a mental image or concept...as a former music teacher and lifelong music student I try to "collect" these phrases as they apply to music so that I might better explain a concept or image...this morning I added one to my mental collection.

This morning on NPR's Morning Edition...was a tribute to Indian Sarod player Ali Akbar Khan, wonderfully put together by Sandip Roy, editor with New America Media and host of New America Now on KALW in San Francisco.

Roy, included in his piece a quote from Ali Akbar Khan to students..."don't sing like a typewriter...sing like handwriting"...at that very moment I could picture the beautiful loops and turns of eastern handwriting as a contrast to the harsh tapping sounds of a typewriter.

I also thought that the phrase if used on younger students might need a little updating, I know my children have seen a typewriter but I don't think they've ever used one...my updated version might replace the typewriter with "noisy keyboard"...not quite the same ring but it might get the point across.

For the complete story on Ali Akbar Khan and his roll in bringing Indian Classical music to the US go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105798864

Do you have a phrase that helped you with a musical concept? Please share

No comments:

Post a Comment