Thursday, April 9, 2009

Musical Remembering

I love the way music can remind me of a place, a time or a person.

This afternoon I played Howard Hanson's Symphony No. 2, every time I hear that I remember exactly where I was...and the emotional response I had for this piece. Weber's Clarinet concerto will remind me of a college classmate...I think this was the one she stomped her foot while playing a portion for a student recital...the foot stomp was because she made a little flub that most of us hadn't detected until of course she removed all doubt by the little stomp.

From time to time I receive calls from listeners that describe some of the same sentiments regarding the music...I really enjoy these calls and its my hope for this blog to be a place where we can share moments like that...

As far as Hanson's Symphony...I was attending a Music conference at Tan-Tar-A as Music Education student, the Kansas City Symphony was performing...being a horn player I was overwhelmed with the soaring melodies...Mahler also does this to me, especially the 1st and 5th symphonies.

What are your "musical rememberings"?

No comments:

Post a Comment